“Seto Bagh” is a historical novel by Diamond Shamsher Rana that tells the story of the Nepalese monarchy during the 19th century Rana dynasty. The book focuses on Jung Bahadur Rana, the founder of the dynasty and Nepal’s prime minister.
The novel explores themes of power, ambition, and betrayal through Jung Bahadur’s perspective. It starts with his rise from a low-ranking soldier to Nepal’s prime minister, and how he consolidates his power by eliminating his rivals.
Throughout the story, we meet various characters with their own motivations, such as Jung Bahadur’s brothers and cousins who are also vying for power. The novel also explores Jung Bahadur’s personal life, including his relationships with his wife, mistress, and children.
“Seto Bagh” provides an intriguing glimpse into Nepalese history during the Rana dynasty. It is a must-read for those interested in Nepalese history or anyone looking for an engaging and thought-provoking novel.
Here is the table of contents for the book “Seto Bagh” by Diamond Shamsher:
Part 1: The Rise of Jung Bahadur
- Chapter 1: The Beginning of the End
- Chapter 2: The Attack on Birgunj
- Chapter 3: The Death of Mathabar Singh Thapa
- Chapter 4: The Coup Against Rajendra Bikram Shah
- Chapter 5: The Rise of Jung Bahadur
Part 2: The Reign of Jung Bahadur
- Chapter 6: The First Years of Power
- Chapter 7: The Visit of the British Envoy
- Chapter 8: The Construction of the Rana Palace
- Chapter 9: The Building of the Rana Regime
- Chapter 10: The Assassination of Kot Massacre
- Chapter 11: The Continuing Legacy of Jung Bahadur
Part 3: The Fall of the Rana Regime
- Chapter 12: The Early Years of the 20th Century
- Chapter 13: The Visit of King Edward VIII
- Chapter 14: The Growing Unrest
- Chapter 15: The Revolution of 1950
- Chapter 16: The End of the Rana Regime
Part 4: The Aftermath
- Chapter 17: The Establishment of the Constitutional Monarchy
- Chapter 18: The First Democratic Elections
- Chapter 19: The Maoist Insurgency
- Chapter 20: The Royal Massacre
- Chapter 21: The End of the Monarchy
Part 5: The Future of Nepal
- Chapter 22: The Challenges of Democracy
- Chapter 23: The Post-Maoist Era
- Chapter 24: The Earthquake of 2015
- Chapter 25: The Current Political Landscape
- Chapter 26: The Future of Nepal
Part 1 of “Seto Bagh” is called “The Rise of Jung Bahadur” and it covers the events that led to his rise to power in Nepal. Chapter 1 describes the declining state of the Shah dynasty, the ruling family of Nepal, and the increasing power struggles among the nobility. Chapter 2 talks about the attack by the British East India Company on Birgunj, a town on the border with India, which made the Nepali court worry about further British aggression. In Chapter 3, Mathabar Singh Thapa, one of the most powerful nobles, is assassinated, leading to more instability. Chapter 4 talks about the coup against King Rajendra Bikram Shah, in which Jung Bahadur played a major role. Chapter 5 explains how Jung Bahadur consolidated his power and established the Rana regime, which would rule Nepal for over a century.
“Seto Bagh” provides a vivid account of the political turmoil in Nepal during the 19th century. Part 1 sets the stage for the rise of Jung Bahadur Rana and the establishment of the Rana dynasty, which would shape the country’s history for many years to come. Anyone interested in the history of Nepal or political intrigue will find “Seto Bagh” a captivating read.
Part 2 of “Seto Bagh” is called “The Reign of Jung Bahadur” and it covers the years when Jung Bahadur Rana ruled Nepal and established the Rana regime. Chapter 6 explains how he consolidated his rule and implemented various reforms in the initial years of his power. Chapter 7 talks about the visit of the British envoy to Nepal, which helped establish friendly relations between the two countries. Chapter 8 details the construction of the grand Rana Palace, which symbolized the Ranas’ power and wealth. Chapter 9 explains how the Rana regime was built through the suppression of dissent and consolidation of power. Chapter 10 discusses the brutal assassination of the Nepali court known as the Kot massacre. Chapter 11 covers the lasting legacy of Jung Bahadur, who remained a powerful figure in Nepal even after his death.
“Seto Bagh” is an insightful account of the political and cultural history of Nepal during the Rana dynasty. Part 2 provides a fascinating glimpse into the reign of Jung Bahadur and the establishment of the Rana regime, which brought about significant changes in Nepalese society. Anyone interested in the history of Nepal, the Rana dynasty or the politics of power will find “Seto Bagh” an engaging read.